Here we have collected common questions we have got from users at Chalmers.
- General Questions and unclassified questions.
- Zoom FAQ for Students (separate page)
- Errors and problems
- See also
This guide is a part of a series of guides about Zoom:
This is only covering the most common questions at Chalmers and stuff that is unique for our use.
Your main source for information are the Zoom Help Center
- You can record locally on your computer. Cloud recording is currently not included in the services available.
- Make sure your have setup the meeting according to the recommendations to avoid uninvited people and "Zoom bombing".
- The version used by Chalmers are not affected by the security issues that have been highlighted in media in april 2020 . See more at our Intranet: Security in Zoom
- Information about Security considerations for Zoom provided by NorduNet.
- Make sure you have up-to-date versions of the software.
- You have and CDA computer and have installed the Zoom-app from another source than our own software portal. Remove Zoom from your computer and re-install it again from our Software Center (Windows) or Software and updates (Mac).
- This can also happen if you have registered a Chalmers Email Zoom account directly at Zoom.com, see further below.
- Sometimes we reclaim licenses. See Zoom Licenses Reset for how to get a new license
We are consolidating all accounts in Zoom and if you suddenly get a Basic-license - just logout and login again on the web page!
- Skype connect is disabled due to that it connects via servers in North America which is not GDPR compliant. Skype connect will not be available now or in the the future.
- Connecting with web browser is not allowed since this may violate GDPR (connection is routed outside EU).
- It is possible to connect to the meeting with a normal phone (audio only). However, the Zoom app is required if you need to present in the meeting.
- This service is not supported in delivered solutions.
- We can add plug-ins IF the provider of this service have a Data processing agreement with Chalmers, this because of the GDPR legislation.
- We can connect external systems with API-keys IF this connection can be done without disturbing other use of Zoom and IF the provider of this service have a Data processing agreement with Chalmers, this because of the GDPR legislation.
- When opening a zoom meeting link, then click join meeting instead of signing in. Then enter the meeting ID and a display name (who is joining). See more at Joining a Meeting (Zoom support pages).
Account Owner firstname.lastname@example.org
- Correct. Fredrik is the person at Chalmers owns the service contract. This is not related to your personal Zoom account, you are yourself.
- If a user has created an account with a Chalmers email-address (like CID@student.chalmers.se) directly at zoom.us, . All Chalmers Zoom accounts are created automatically when login first time at https://chalmers.zoom.us/
- Sign out from all your other devices from Zoom.
- Clear your browser cache.
Zoom FAQ for Students (separate page)
Creating the meeting
- This is just the preferred default setting. The participant can change this before joining and also after joining a meeting. For larger meetings it is recommended to have microphone and video off when joining
- No, you can create break-out rooms anytime.
- In Zoom are recommended. Outlook only provides very limited settings, but it may be a good choice for smaller meetings. Regardless which method you use, you can change the meeting in Zoom later.
Questions related to the licenses
- We currently have a pool of 50 licenses for Webinars up to 500 participants. Licenses are assigned for the period needed and returned to the pool when the webinar is over.
- Reserve a license for your webinar in advance to make sure there is an available license on the day you need it by mailing you request to IT Office as well in advance as possible.
- Please contact IT-Office (well in advance) for discussion of your needs.
- No, the person that have the license must have a CID.
- If you have several webinars at the same time, you must have as many different persons to hold the license. One person can only have one license.
- No. This person only needs to create and setup (in advance) the meeting. He/she does not need to participate or can join another webinar instead.
- Yes. This person only needs to create and setup (in advance) the meeting. He/she does not need to participate or can join another webinar instead.
- We have limited capacity for this. Recommend you contact IT Support and check availability. For for dissertations we have extra resources, mail request to email@example.com
Keeping unwanted guests out
- This is how you keep disruptive elements out from your meeting or webinar. By adding an extra step that the participant needs to do before joining the event, it makes it much harder for random persons to enter.
- No, but it is an available option. Several levels of security is provided, and this is a rough list in order
- None at all. Not recommended
- Registration required. The link to enter the meeting is mailed separately to the person, thus ensuring the email address is valid.
- Password hidden in link. God enough for most events where the link is not publicly shared
- Password must be given separately. Better, but the participant have to type in the password.
- Waiting room. New participants must stay in the waiting area before the person(s) holding the meeting/webinar let them in. Most secure, but may not work with hundreds of participants.
- Yes. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360042761551-Converting-a-meeting-to-a-webinar
- NOTE Only scheduled meetings can be converted. It is not possible to convert a meeting with your personal ID to a webinar.
- There is always a possibility for technical problems but it is either related to an individual computer or with the server connections. If the meeting or webinar is for 10 or 1000 people does not matter.
- Participants in a webinar can not use their microphones without an invite to do that from the webinar host(s).
- No, but normally you only allow the participant to send chat messages to the host(s) and panelists which decides upon if this message is to be shown publicly.
Errors and problems
- Camera driver needs to be updated:
Vilka sidor inkluderar denna sida (inte helt pålitligt, kräver att ITAINCLUDEPAGE-variabeln är satt i sidor som inkluderar):